In a general sense of eating, yes you can eat steak with braces with few precautions. But the thing you should know is that most dentists prohibit eating steaks and other hard eating material while wearing braces. If you think that braces are not going to affect your eating choices, you are wrong. Life after braces becomes a bit difficult in terms of normal eating habits, brushing teeth, and flossing for extra care.
The best recommendation from our team of dentists is that you should avoid eating steaks and other meats due to the chances of damaging your braces will be enhanced by such eatables. This article is going to tell you all you need to know, if you are really anxious to eat steaks with braces.
Why Do The Dentists Disallow Eating Steak With Braces?
First recommendation for you is to take your dentist’s advice on very serious notes. Because the normal things he will tell you to do are going to bring a massive change in your teeth’ condition. Dentists are super against of the idea of eating steak during the treatment due to the following reasons:
- Steak requires a longer chewing time that can potentially damage your teeth and braces.
- Eating steaks in large quantities while wearing braces in cases with braces.
- Normally, steaks are grilled while with braces you are recommended to cut the grilled steak in little edible sizes.
- Grilled meat like steak takes longer to eat and digest.
- The pieces of meat can get stuck between teeth and braces.
- You need to remove these pisces by flossing, otherwise they will produce plaque and bacteria which invites other gum diseases like gingivitis.
Right Way To Eat Steak With Braces
During our research, we have come across many patients who have had damaged braces due to the wrong way of eating meat with braces. People with braces are highly encouraged to know the right food along with the right way to eat it with the braces on.
Following suggestions will tell you the right way of eating steak with your braces on:
- The first thing is to get your meat cut into small bite-size boneless pieces.
- Always use a knife and a fork to cut pieces further while eating to have comfortable and faster chewing.
- Keep two things always in your mind while eating meat, have only boneless meat, specifically cooked with grains.
- To prevent stains, you are advised to chew your meat perfectly.
- Last but not the least is the cleaning of your teeth through proper brushing and flossing to avoid any unwanted medical condition.
Steak Is Healthy For You
Steak made up of fine meat is healthier in comparison to other foods you normally intake. Steaks are, due to many reasons, healthy and beneficial for you. Consider the following health benefits of eating steak:
- It is the best protein source.
- It covers the iron shortage in your body.
- It contains micronutrients.
- Best recommended for mental health.
When Will You Be Able To Eat Normally With Braces
The first week with the braces is normally critical as you may face the gum bleeding or swelling due to the newly applied pressure on the teeth and unfamiliarity with the use of braces. But you will feel a lot more comfortable even after the first week with your braces on. Gradually, your teeth will get adjusted under the braces and you will feel normal to eat with them.
What Else can Damage Your Braces
- Never eat fresh fruits and vegetables right away in uncut condition or it will damage your braces.
- Sticky food items like candies, bubble gums and other sweet dishes are not allowed to eat with braces.
- Nuts and seeds can destroy your braces into pieces if not eaten with care.
- Firm rolls and dense breads are soft but they can easily stick to your teeth and will become very hard to clean when the braces are on.
- Hard things like ice cubes are highly discouraged to eat with braces as the cubes can break your brackets and wires.
- Acidic foods and certain beverages are not good for your teeth during treatment but they are also bad for your braces as well.
Less Chewing Is The Key To Eat With Braces
Orthodontists and dentists have concluded that you can eat anything that is not hard and requires less chewing. For example juices, soups and similar edibles. Less chewing will make the food items contact your teeth and braces for less time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it permissible by the dentist to eat meat after getting braces?
Yes you can eat meat but with few precautions. Your meat should be in small boneless pieces. It should be perfectly cooked so that it will require less chewing. You must eat your small bite size meat with a fork and a knife to further cut the meat into smaller pieces to have comfortable chewing. Always brush and floss your teeth after eating meat.
How to eat grilled meat and chips with braces on?
First thing you will do is to get your grilled meat perfectly cut into smaller pieces as the direct eating grilled meat can damage your teeth and gums by breaking your braces or sticking around the brackets and wires of your braces. Use a knife and fork while eating and cut the meat pieces into bite size for an easy chewing. After every such meal never ever forget to clean your teeth through brushing and flossing.
What to do if meat pieces get stuck between teeth and braces?
You should brush at a recommended angle of 45 degrees to go closer to the edges. The second thing you can do is to floss your teeth regularly. In any severe condition, contact your dentist.