You can find children and adults everywhere wearing braces to straighten their teeth or to treat the alignment incase of crooked or even overcrowded teeth in order to attain one possible, a perfect, decent, confident, and attractive smile.
To make their dream smile a reality they visit the orthodontist to consult their issue so that they could decide the type of braces which are suitable for them. But once you get the braces on, you should act upon the advice of your dentist as dealing with the braces is a two way job. On one side is your dentist instructing, and on the other side it’s you acting upon the instructions given. Braces are going to affect your eating when it comes to choosing the food item.
Eating Ice With Braces Is a Sin
Well, eating ice with braces is something very unusual and not recommended by the orthodontists worldwide. On the contrary, eating anything harder like ice is strongly prohibited by the dentists for the patients. Such habits are so harmful that they will drag you towards failure by wasting everything you have invested to get your dream smile including time, energy and money.
What Will Happen If You Mistakenly Eat Ice With Braces
Crushing ice with your teeth while wearing braces is something really bad and should be avoided. If your dentist has recommended you to wear braces, you should understand that you are going through a treatment period.
The treatment period is supervised and instructed by your dentist so that you can get what you want out of your invested struggle, energy and money.
If you just keep going with your old habits like crushing ice even with the braces installed, it would bring some serious injury inside your mouth like:
- Brackets may break down and hurt your mouth
- Wires of braces may break due to hard ice and hurt your tongue or gums
- It may cause injury to your teeth edges, gums, and tongue
Real Damage To Your Teeth and Gums
The reason for wearing braces is to treat them to have them in a perfectly desired manner and not to cause them real damage. Dealing with your teeth will not teach you many things throughout the journey. There are things which you can eat on normal days but with braces the same things can do real damage to your teeth by breaking the appliance or a part of it. Ice is one of those things which are highly prohibited during your treatment period.
Chewing Ice Can Destroy Your Braces
It would be just like destroying your braces if you crush ice while wearing them. Braces are made up of wires, and brackets whereas brackets are fixed by glue with teeth. The purpose of creating this grip is to put a constant pressure on your teeth to deal with the issues like crookedness and overcrowdedness of your teeth. Now, you can imagine what destruction will take place if you try to chew ice with your braces on. It will break down your braces into pieces.
There are many precautions which your dentist will give to keep your braces and teeth safe during treatment. The necessary precautions may affect our lifestyle when it comes to eating food of your choice. Braces make you choose from the given options. Once you get the braces on you can eat only the recommended food items.
Things You Can Eat With Braces
Your orthodontist will provide you a list of recommended food items which you can eat with braces. The basic notion is that you can eat soft food items which require less chewing like following:
- Fruits and Vegetables which are soft and easy to chew like bananas, juices, potatoes and steamed vegetables.
- Meat is a good thing but it should be properly prepared like meatballs which are easy to chew.
- Seafood is a safe and better option to consider when it comes to eating with braces.
- Dairy Products are generally recommended as they are soft and require less chewing.
- Ice Cream, Milkshakes, and Chocolates are permissible with a condition that you will brush your teeth after eating.
- Soups are highly encouraged for the people with braces.
Things You Cannot Eat With Braces
There are many food items which are hard, chewy, crunchy and sticky. All such foods are discouraged to eat during treatment when your braces are on. Here we are going to give a list of those food items which you should avoid eating during your days with braces.
- Hard foods like ice cubes, cookies, nuts, and others are highly discouraged to eat with braces.
- Chewy food items that require more chewing including chewing gum is prohibited.
- Crunchy foods like ice, pops, potato chips and popcorn are not recommended with braces to eat.
- Sticky foods are terrible to eat in such cases like caramel.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do cold foods give pain relief?
It is good to eat ice cream or other cold foods with braces to decrease the inflammation but in case of sensitive cases cold foods should be avoided. You are also advised to give your teeth a proper brush after eating products like ice.
Can I eat ice cream cones with braces?
Enjoying ice cream cones with braces is acceptable and may give you some relief but you should brush after every time you eat ice cream cones.
What is the right way to brush teeth with braces?
The best way to brush your teeth with braces is to adjust your brush at 45 degrees angle in order to reach the edges to remove plaque and bacteria if any due to the stuck food items.